As the weather cools, it’s always a favorite time for me to create recipes with fall spices. October is my birthday month. I’ve always loved the fall, but I’ve grown to truly enjoy this time of year as its rather telling of the journey we are on called life.
Today I enjoyed waking up late – SHOCKING! I usually wake up by 5:30 am. I was able to sleep until 7:30 am and enjoy a rare cup of coffee at home. I took that time to reflect on this last day of September 2018. What has this past year shown me? What am I truly grateful for? What have I learned? How have I changed?
For starters, I’ve been on a journey this year to complete my 200-hour yoga teacher training. I’ve been so fortunate for this time of self-discovery while also making lifelong friendships with women I would never have met if it weren’t for the Yoga Goddess Academy and the training with Crystal Gray.
I’ve been blessed to have so many friendships with other women blossom this year. I think that only happened as I began to heal my own self-doubts which came with the yoga teacher training. I find we, as women are so much stronger together. I don’t understand where the competition and jealousy I felt earlier in life came from. When women build each other up rather than view each other as competition that’s where true magic happens.
My love of the kitchen and creating recipes both while cooking and baking comes from a long line of farmers wives; my grandmothers on both sides and my mom. I’m blessed to have naturally received cooking and baking lessons from the day I came into this world pretty much. Over the past 8 years I’ve run into some of my own health issues and that’s prompted me to become a health coach as I prefer looking at what is at the root cause of issues vs. taking pills. I’m excited to be creating recipes for my upcoming Fall Detox for beginners that will begin after Halloween. Yes – get past the candy of the season and break away from the sugar in the 5-day Fall Detox. I’ll be sharing some recipes from that as it’s not like other detoxes. Its full of wonderful flavors in the recipes to help us all find the energy we’ve been missing and feel our best!
For today – give these Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies a try as I LOVE them! So yummy and perfect for breakfast or a snack. The flavors of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg linger and that helps to keep cravings at bay. Let me know what you think! 🙂
If you LOVE this recipe be sure to sign up to receive updates when I post a new blog – usually 1-3 times per week and you will have VIP early access to my upcoming seasonal detoxes! FALL Detox for Beginners will be November 5th thru the 9th! I will provide EARLY BIRD pricing to those on my email list! Don’t miss out!
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 30m
- 1 1/2 cups Almond meal or almond flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds soaked in 1/4 cup of water for 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (from a can is fine)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger OR 1/8 - 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup walnuts, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins, cranberries or dried currants (no sugar added)
Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees 2. Combine 1 TBSP chia seeds and 1/4 cup water and soak for 10 minutes (creating a chia gel) 3. Combine dry ingredients (minus the walnuts and the dried fruit) in a large bowl. Make a small well in the middle and add the wet ingredients. 3. Mix until well combined, then add walnuts and dried fruit and mix gently until just combined. 4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spoon out 2-3 TBSP per cookie. Smoosh the cookies so they are flat - these won't rise like other cookies do. 5. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, let cool, then enjoy! 6. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for about a week. Note: These cookies might look daunting, but they are so yummy and always a hit. If you make a batch of these, you'll have breakfast for days as well as plenty of snacks!